Fermented Probiotic Drink

Here is the easy and inexpensive recipe I promised to keep your gut flora healthy. Sorry it's taken so long. We had overseas visitors and an enjoyable break, but now life is returning to normal and here it is - my own fermented drink recipe made from good-quality organic wheat, rye, oats, millet or triticale (avoid old, cracked or rancid grain). I prepare a sterilised glass jar and fill ½ with grain that has been thoroughly rinsed in a strainer until free of dirt, dust and chaff. Then I add distilled water until the jar is nearly full and allow the grain to soak for 24 hours in a warm place. Thereafter I shake the jar, strain off the liquid, and let the ‘soak water’ ferment in a warm place, covered with a piece of cheesecloth. Depending on temperature, this will take about 36-72 hours, after which time I store the liquid in a refrigerator for up to one week. The discarded grain can be used in sourdough bread and soup etc. Drink ½ glass of the fermented liquid each morning on an empty stomach, and your intestinal flora will be grateful :-)

Comments

Popular Posts